A suppository is primarily an object used to inject the medicine into the body. This object is available in different shapes and sizes. It is just an envelope for the drug. On the whole, it is made up of cocoa butter or gelatin.
Suppositories are inserted into the bottom openings of your body i.e. Urethra, Rectum, Vagina. The heat of your body melts the cover and retains the drug. Suppositories are made for treatment of various diseases, like:
- Birth control.
- Mental disorders.
- Fungal or viral infections.
- Vaginal health.
- Allergies and much
What is the Need Of Suppository?
You require suppositories for following reasons:
- If you cannot have medicines directly due its taste or other issues.
- Taking syrup or tablet leads you to vomit.
- If the drug breaks down too early if you take it directly.
- It is the substitution of the medications that cannot be taken in oral or injection form.
Suppositories are available in the market, both online and offline. But since it’s about insertion in your rectum or vagina, it should be safe.
Making a suppository at home is not a difficult task. It has no side-effects if made correctly using the right ingredient. Let’s take up with few easy ways and natural ingredients for making homemade suppositories.
Get Acknowledged to Homemade Suppositories:
Depending upon the composition it is divided into two parts:
- Water Soluble Base.
- Fatty Base.
Depending on Insertion, classification is
- Urethral Suppository.
- Vaginal Suppository.
- Rectum Suppository.
By shape, it is classified as
- Oval Shaped.
- Cone Shaped.
- Round Shaped.
The manufacturing of base is usually done using fatty elements like cocoa butter or items that are soluble in water like gelatin, and other glycerinated polymers.
To start with making homemade suppository, the basic requirement is molded. You have two options. Either buy the ready made mold or prepare the molds at home.
Ways to Make Homemade Suppository Molds:
- Take an aluminum foil. The desired size is 5 inches long and half an inch And fold it in shape of a boat.
- Fill the mold with a thin outline of the base Allow resting for some time, until it freezes to take the form of the mold.
- Remove it from the mold and your suppository is ready.
- The second object that you can use as a mold is nipple of baby’s milk feeding bottle.
- You may also prefer any tube or small thin bottle.
- Pour the base into it and release it once it takes the shape of the mold.
Your suppositories can be obtained most easily and conveniently.
Ingredients Used for Making Suppository:
Tea Tree Oil:
The suppository made using tea tree oil is useful against vaginal infections. Use as the given steps below.
- Take two tablespoons of cocoa butter and 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- Keep the cocoa butter over boiling water to melt.
- Allow the coconut oil to cool at room temperature. Now add tea tree oil to it.
- Pour the mixture into molds. Be attentive, so that air bubble does not formulate.
- Refrigerate the content and remove from the mold after 30 minutes.
Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe vera gel is helpful in the treatment of pain in hemorrhoids.
- Take around two tablespoons of Aloe Vera Gel and one cup of coconut oil. Preferably virgin oil.
- To make this suppository, you will need few drops of marjoram essential oil.
- Mix all the ingredients, mentioned in above steps. And melt them to a smooth mixture using double boiler method.
- Put the mixture into molds and allow to rest.
- Once the mixture freezes. You may unfold the content. Your suppository is ready to use.
Garlic and Witch Hazel:
This suppository is used for hemorrhoids. Now to prepare the base of this suppository, carry out following steps:
- Take few cloves of garlic. Crush the cloves finely.
- Take coconut oil in a bowl. Put crushed garlic into it. Mix them well. The ratio of coconut oil and garlic should be 1:5.
- To the content in the bowl, add witch hazel. Witch hazel should be in the form of fine powder.
- Mix the contents well. Now lay them in the shape of a finger over a tray. Put the tray in the refrigerator. Allow the content to freeze. Your suppository is now ready to use.
Cocoa Butter and Beeswax:
This suppository also makes use of medicinal herb known as witch hazel. This also finds its use in shrinking hemorrhoids.
- Dry and crush the bark of witch hazel tree. And take 5 grams of this fine powder.
- Add this powder to one cup of water. Boil and strain the contents.
- Take cocoa butter and beeswax in equal quantity. Keep them in a bowl and put over a pan of boiling water. Heat the material to melt it completely. The maximum temperature of cocoa butter shall be 95 degrees.
- Add hazel witch liquid to wax and butter.
- Put the content in mold and allow it to set.
The suppository is ready to use, once it takes the shape of the mold. All the ingredients mentioned in the write up are natural and safe to use. These methods are tried and tested. You can easily make the suppositories using these methods. The methods are convenient, useful and cost very low compared to ready-made molds.
You can rely on them. Since suppositories are for sensitive use, you may consult your doctor for the base material. The ideal period for the use of suppository is one week. Using any suppository for more than a week may have adverse effects. The symptoms of side effects are:
- Gastric Issues.
- Stomach ache or cramps.
- Irritation in the anus.
- Redness in vagina etc.
Please check with your doctor without wasting time, if you observe any of the above-mentioned effects. Any delay may not be good for your health.